Sunday, September 20, 2009

Speaking of panko bread crumbs .....

When I was a kid I loved fish sticks, which was probably not a good thing. I realized that more when I started cooking and once I found this healthy recipe for baked fish sticks how bad the frozen ones really were. I don't think I have ever eaten the frozen ones since I was a kid but now because of these baked ones I have erased the others from my memory. They are phenomenal and I wouldn't go back to the frozen sodium ridden mixed fish sticks for anything.



I will try to not go on a rant about frozen food, but its hard. Frozen food can be extremely unhealthy. More often than not frozen is capable of being frozen because of the amount of salt and extra preservatives that are in it. I am only referring to frozen dinners, quick burritos, pre-made appetizers that are frozen, and breakfast options that you know are unhealthy just by looking at them.



There are a lot of good options for frozen food too. Check out this article on Building Nutrition. It clearly outlines the great point of frozen food and the not so great.



So on with the healthy baked fish sticks !!!



You start by placing your breading supplies in three separate dishes. Put 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 2 tbs of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and the zest of one lemon in the first dish. Then 1 egg and 1 egg white into the next dish. Then about 2 cups of panko bread crumbs into the third dish.





Then prepare your fish. I have only ever done this with tilapia. Not only does it taste great, but it really hold up well to the breading. I use about 3/4-1 lb for two people and it gives my husband and I about 5-6 smaller pieces each.





Once your fish is breaded place it on a baking sheet and put in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes. I have been cooking them about 13 minutes when I do it. I basically wait until they look golden brown to take them out and I made 3-4 times and it always works. Then you bread your fish first by dipping in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the panko bread crumbs.






Then plate them up with some lemons, veggies, and quinoa or short-grain brown rice and you have a complete meal !!!


Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails