Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mixing in the good stuff...

This is one of my favorite things to do --- sneak in some good stuff. I was making a stirfry that turned out delicious (more on that later) and the rice that went into my rice cooker went something like this....

Kaleena's inner thoughts...
"Hmmm I have jasmine rice ok pour, pour, pour....and it looks like I have ground flax meal pour, pour......and it looks like I have quinoa pour, pour.......ooooh and it looks like I have some buckwheat pour, pour...."

You can also add things like ground flax meal to just about everything. I commonly put a little extra in baked goods, soups, stews, casseroles and no one ever knows the difference....

Ground flax meal being one of my favorites as it almost dissapears in cooking while leaving all its amazing nutrients behind.

"The flax seed carries one of the biggest nutrient payloads on the planet. And while it’s not technically a grain, it has a similar vitamin and mineral profile to grains, while the amount of fiber, antioxidants, and Omega-3 fatty acids in flax leaves grains in the dust. Additionally, flax seed is very low in carbohydrates, making it ideal for people who limit their intake of starches and sugars. And its combination of healthy fat and high fiber content make it a great food for weight loss and maintenance -- many dieters have found that flax seed has been a key to keeping them feeling satisfied." - About.com

I add "the good stuff" to meals all the time. I like to think I sneak it in and my husband never knows the difference but I think after all this time of cooking for him he has caught on. Needless to say he and I are both eating better because of it.

So try it mix in the good stuff. If your scared, which you shouldnt be, try a little at a time.

Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails