Monday, January 11, 2010

Veggie Stew with Mini Turkey Meatballs

This lovely little recipe came into our lives when the end of the week was approaching and I had a huge amount of leftover vegetables that I did not want to thrown out come Saturday when I went back to the grocery store.

So I decided to throw them all in my crockpot with some veggie stock, a couple of bay leaves, some parsley, basil, dill, and a little cilantro. It turned out to be great. I served it over some brown rice and with some turkey meatballs and it was a hit for sure. Plus I got to use up all the leftover items I had hanging around instead of throwing them out. Ladies and gentlemen what you have here is a peasant stew, and there isn't a dam thing wrong with it. What a great way to save money and use up what you have instead of going out and buying more fresh produce.

The items I used in my stew were ...
carrots
celery
zucchini
squash
eggplant
onion
red pepper
green pepper
2 large diced tomatoes
parsley
dill
basil
cilantro
veggie stock
a little splash of white wine
some bay leaves
salt and pepper
some dried black eyed peas

set it for 8-10 hours on low in your crock pot
and that's it !!

here are some pictures of my journey to peasant stew !










3 comments:

  1. It so nice to clean out the fridge and get a wonderful meal out of it.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing that too...it almost feels more rewarding because you really created something from what appeared to be nothing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative,resourceful,and delicious. What's not to love about this dish!I think you did a good job with it.I really enjoyed reading your blog. You know what,Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing this Fall 2010. You have some really great recipes and I thought how great it would be if you could join in this event! You can find out more about it at this link http://www.foodista.com/blogbook. Hope you wont mind if I left this message here. I wanted to email you but couldn't find one, so I dropped this message instead. Hope you do join. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails