Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers ****** with a nutritional yeast highlight

I have always wanted to find a high fiber, healthy, packed with veggies recipe for stuffed peppers. When I came across this recipe for quinoa and black bean stuffed peppers I knew I had to try it.

You should start by heating up some oil in your frypan. Add 3 carrots diced, 1 whole onion chopped, 4 ribs of celery diced, then throw in 3-4 tbs of minced garlic for good measure.


Then you are going to add in one can of fire roasted tomatoes plus one can of rinsed black beans..


Now you don't have to do this, but I have recently discovered nutritional yeast. You can put this in about anything and it is virtually tasteless.

By adding just 2 tbs of nutritional yeast you are getting some serious protein, fiber, and huge amount of B12. Vitamin B12 can help prevent nerve damage and anemia, it aids in cell and blood formation, proper digestion, fertility and growth.

Nutritional yeast is huge in the vegetarian community as Vegetarians and immune compromised individuals are the most at risk of vitamin B12 deficiency if not watched.


I add nutritional yeast in meals where we don't have meat or where I can easily hide in like stuffed peppers.


The next thing you want to do is chop your peppers up. This recipe will fill four cups or 2 whole peppers sliced in half.


Then add in 2 cups of chopped frozen spinach and about a cup of quinoa.

This meal has so many good things in it you just wont know what to do with all the energy it will give you after!!!!

Let that simmer for about 20 minutes. It will allow the quinoa to cook and all the flavors to meld together.



Then stuffed your peppers top them with some low-fat low-cal pepper jack cheese and bake them up in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the peppers get soft and they get a little brown on top.

Serve them up with some crispy baked tofu fingers (More on those later) like you see below and you have a nutritional packed feast !!


Enjoy !!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks amazing. And healthy as a bonus too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serendipity. I was just talking with my neighbor this morning about quinoa recipes. We both want to try adding it to our menus. This looks delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow! i ran out of nutritional yeast and i cant find it down here! its sooo easy to hide in foods, just like flax seed ;) come to nc and good for me lovies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was yummy. I'm always getting grief for cooking too much-- so I actually followed the recipe exactly.

    Luckily I had some extra peppers. I filled 3 1/2 *large* peppers [all that would fit in my pan] and have a couple cups of filling left over.
    [may try it as a dip later]

    I used mozzerella and smoked gouda for the cheese- but otherwise went right by the recipe.

    Had never used roasted tomatoes before but I had a big bowl of Romas so I fired up the grill and roasted them. I'll be doing that again-- yummy!

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails