Friday, January 1, 2010

coffee cake, literally ...

Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman

This cake is absurd. It is literally the most unhealthy thing I have ever created. It was a perfect thing to bring our annual work holiday party. I heard people talking about it in the halls at work when they weren't sure who made it.

I adore baking. It is the so much fun and I can be as creative as I want with it. I also love bringing things that I bake to events or parties so that others can enjoy the goodness. That way it also doesn't have to stay at home

This is coffee cake, literally....It tastes like a pint of haagen-daz coffee ice cream with a little cake mixed in. Why wouldn't you want that??? The key is have a sliver of it and then give it the rest to some friends. You could make yourself sick on it. If you have a coffee fanatic for a friend and their birthday is coming up this certainly would make an awesome birthday cake.

You start off by adding 2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 cups of sugar to a bowl, and 1/4 tsp of salt. Mix it together and then set aside...


Then melt 2 sticks of butter in a small saucepan. Then boil 1 cup of water and add 3 tbs of instant coffee crystals. This is going to make a concentrated coffee liquid that will be added to your cake batter.


Once the butter is melted and the coffee crystals have dissolved into the water combine the two liquids.


Then in a separate bowl add 1/2 cup of fat free buttermilk, 2 eggs, 2 tsp of vanilla, and 1 tsp of baking soda. Whisk it together and set aside.


Now, pour the coffee/butter liquid into the flour/sugar mixture. Mix it through with a fork until it is thoroughly combined.


Then add in the egg mixture and incorporate.


Then spilt the cake batter into 2 greased cake pans.



Bake the cakes at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Be sure to test the center with a toothpick to ensure the cake are done.

Then you will want to make the frosting. Add 1 1/2 sticks of butter to a large bowl. Then add 1 pound of powdered sugar (yes I said it 1 pound) or 2 whole cups. Then add 3 tbs of instant coffee grounds to create some amazing flecks in the frosting. Cream these ingredients together then add 1 tbs of heavy cream at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.

Then take one of the cakes and frost in the just the center of the cake.


Add the other top and then frost the entire cake like so...


Chop into this baby and you can see what you have created. This is something that is going to blow your friends minds. Or give you a bunch of new friends !!


Have a sliver. No more than an inch wide. Then just slightly watch what you eat the rest of the day and you will more be than fine.

Enjoy !!!

2 comments:

  1. I started reading this, expecting a "coffee cake" (in my mind, I pictured the kind you eat for breakfast that usually has some kind of cinnamon...). My eyes got so big when I read "two cups sugar," and then next "two sticks butter," and I finally realized it was a dessert! Too funny. I bet it's outrageously good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Cindi it is outrageous!! It is incredibly rich and should only be eaten in the sliver and nothing more. It is the most unhealthiest thing I have ever made, but boy was it good. Keep watching and I assure you more healthy goodness shall come!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails