Sunday, November 22, 2009

shepard's pie taken up a notch

I absolutely love Shepard's pie no matter what it has in it. It could be all veggies, some spices, or meat and veggies. It is a fantastic all in one meal. With little effort it can be yours too! There is really nothing spectacular about this post besides add in more veggies wherever and whenever you can!!!!!

I wanted to make Shepard's pie one night, but I also did not want it to be the same old boring Shepard's pie I grew up on. I am certainly not knocking on my mom's Shepard's pie, but I figured why not add a little something here and a little something there and try to amp up the regular old Shepard's pie.

So here is what I tried to do and it ended up being quite delicious.

I had a lot of leftover spinach so I figured if I chopped that up small and added it into the ground beef mixture it would add a lot of extra nutritional value. Then I had a lot of baby red potatoes so those are what I used for the mashed potato portion of this delicacy to some. I also kept the skins on to add some extra fiber to the dish. I also added some flax meal to the potatoes and my husband never knew the difference. Then I used some leftover fat free buttermilk instead of adding a lot of added butter to the potatoes that is not necessary.



Then I added some frozen corn, peas, and edamame that I had kicking around. I guess my attempt to add some extra nutritional value to this meal went above and beyond.


I baked this all in one meal in the oven for 15-18 minutes at 350 until it got all crispy and delicious on top. Serve this up with a hearty big salad and you have yourself a complete and easy meal.


TIP:
This is also a great meal to make at the end of the week. This way you can stop throwing out that wilted spinach, bendy carrots, and any other vegetable you have lingered around that might make it's way to the trash can if you wait one more day. Try making meals like this towards the end of the week that you can use those items up and in the long-run you may end of saving money...

Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails