Monday, November 9, 2009

OH BOY, DID I MAKE BREAD!!! some country white bread for y'all !

When I can make things from scratch it gives me a great sense of happiness. I can for once take something I created and say I know exactly what is in it. Knowing that the ingredients you put into something you baked is great. I am tired of buying products that have ingredients in the list on the back that I cant pronounce. To me ingredients I cant pronounce mean unhealthy things, extra salt, extra fat, extra preservatives, and extra crap!!! So I attempted making a light country white bread this weekend and it was amazing !!!

You start by combining 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup of fat free buttermilk, and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a bowl.


Then add 1 1/2 cup of white bread flour into the water mixture until it becomes smooth.


Then beat two eggs together.


Then add 1/3 cup sugar and the beaten eggs to the flour mixture and mix through.


Then add 1 tsp of sea salt to the flour mixture and mix through.


Then add 2 packets of active dry yeast and mix through.


Then add 1/2 cup of white bread flour at a time until you get up to about 6 cups of flour. Be sure to remember the 1 1/2 cups of flour you added before.


Add the flour until it becomes a wonderful, delicious, airy looking bread dough like in the picture below. Put it back in a lightly oiled bowl with PAM and let it rise in a warm spot in your kitchen for for 1 1/2 hours with a tea towel over it.


Then knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes elastic.


Then take the bread and separate it in half.


Then form two loaves and place into greased and floured pans. Cover with a tea towel and put it back in that warm spot until it doubles in size, which is about another hour. Once it rises brush with egg whites. Wait five minutes and then brush with egg whites again.


Pop it in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes until it is all golden brown. It is suppose to be 180 degrees on the inside when its done.

I would strongly suggest using a digital thermometer if you have one for this as it only will make it easier. Or if you have a wooden skewer poke it in the bread a few times to ensure it comes out clean and the bread is in fact done.


The country white bread recipe came out better than I had expected. This recipe does make two loaves so be sure to keep that in mind if you decide to take this on some Sunday afternoon. If you do I assure you it will not sit on a shelf uneaten. Your family will be quite happy!!

Here are some slices for you to feast your eyes on!!!


And one of my favorite breakfasts in the entire world!!! Toast, some peanut butter, bananas, and a glass of OJ. Trust me you start any morning with this business and you will be set to go until at least 11:45am. Its perfect fuel for people that hate mornings like myself.


Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails