Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vegetarian Mushroom Quinoa Stew

Adapted from: Bread and Honey

I absolutely love this stew. It is hearty, healthful, and filling. I saw this on Bread and Honey and knew I had to make it. It is also my favorite style of cooking. Making something that looks spectacular and isn't hard to make. I was a little timid when I wanted to make this, but now I have made it 3 times and it has been awesome each and every time. The other best part about this delicious mushroom quinoa stew is that it freezes well. I'm not really totally sure why it freezes as well as it does maybe because it is such a hearty stew.

You need to start with heating 2 tbs of olive oil in a large pot. Then add 1 onion chopped, 2 minced garlic cloves and saute until it is fragrant.


Then chop up a heaping plateful of mushrooms. When I make it I usually use baby bella, large portobella and white button mushrooms.


Then add your mushrooms to the onions and saute through. Then squeeze the dickens out of 1 lemon into the pot.


Then add 3 tbs of whole grain brown mustard and 2 tbs of butter. Mix the ingredients well and let them simmer for a little bit longer.


Then add about 6-7 cups of veggie broth and 1 cup of quinoa. I had red and regular quinoa leftover so I added them both to add some more color.


Let your stew simmer a little longer until the quinoa cooks through, which should be about 15 minutes. If your stew seems too liquidity. Take out a little of the broth and whisk some flour in so you can thicken the stew. Once the flour is incorporated add it back to the pot to thicken the stew.


Once your stew is thick enough take about 4 large handfuls of arugula and add it to the pot.

Check out that goodness !!! You can still see the steam in the picture. This is a complete vegetarian meal so enjoy my veggie and vegan friends!!!! I think if you omit the 2 tbs of butter you can call it completely vegan, but I suppose there are substitutes for that as well.


Of course, I had to add a couple of pieces of grilled chicken to pretty it up even more.


You can beat that for dinner on a cold November day !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails