Thursday, October 1, 2009

Holy Hollandaise !!

I have always wanted to make my own Hollandaise sauce from scratch. Since my husband and I had it for breakfast on our honeymoon I have been thinking of trying to make it myself. We had eggs Benedict with the most amazing home fries for breakfast the morning we were in Chicago on our honeymoon road trip. Someone in the hotel heard we were on our honeymoon and little did we know we would have free breakfast in the morning.

I was surprise at how easy it was. I got the recipe out of a cooking light magazine. This is the not the traditional way of making hollandaise, but it is amazing I assure you. The only thing that made it slightly different is that instead of using high-fat unsalted butter I used a lighter alternative healthier butter. It didn't matter it was just as tangy and buttery as the hollandaise I remembered in Chicago.

You will need the following items for the recipe:
2 egg yolks
1 tbs of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of salt
2 tbs of cold water
1/2 cup of lowfat/lowcal butter
You will want to melt your butter in the microwave. It wont take more that 20 seconds. Then get a small saucepan and add the 2 tbs of cold water. Then add in the 2 egg yolks and begin whisky briskly for 1-2 minutes. Once the egg yolk mixture becomes quite foamy start to add the melted butter 1 tbs at a time and continue whisking. Once the mixture becomes a little thicker add the lemon juice and salt. Continue whisking it periodically until your ready to serve.


When your ready it is ready to use on anything and everything its great. We had it on grilled chicken and asparagus this night. Trust me its totally worth it. Granted I probably wouldn't make it every night, but it is certainly a special treat !
Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails