Thursday, March 18, 2010

shrimp and corn chowder

I am absolutely in love with making soups, stews, stocks, and anything I can hide plentiful amounts of vegetables in it. I feel like with proper preparation and the right balance of ingredients you can make any soup taste wonderful. Soups and stews are also great because if prepared properly it can be a complete wholesome all in one pot. I just wished I could get away with cooking them all year round. There is nothing I like more than using my crockpot every week during the fall and winter to create a chili, soup, stew or bisque.

This is a recipe I create after taking a little look in my cabinets, refrigerator and freezer. It was a perfect way to use up the leftover veg, canned goods and frozen protein I had hanging around. When this works our perfectly like it did tonight I get a supreme sense of satisfaction just because it is so gratifying.

I had some leftover leeks and fennel left over. I chopped them up and threw them into a large pot with a dribble of olive oil. I also added some of the green bits from the top of the fennel bulb for some extra flavor.


Then I chopped up one large onion and threw that into the mix. Soups are also amazing to make at the end of the week because frequently some of those things your not sure what to do with would be fantastic in soup. Plus, who doesn't always have things like onions, potatoes, carrots and celery??



Then grab a few red potatoes or whatever kind of potatoes you have lying around. Chop them up into pieces that are just big enough for a spoonful.


Then grab a bottle of clam juice. You can find this near the tuna in the grocery store. It adds an insane amount of flavor to any soup that has fish or shrimp in it.


Then add enough water to cover the top of the vegetables. Add just enough milk so it gets the chowder look without being full of cream.


Then add a bit of chopped parsley and 1 1/2 cup of frozen corn.


Add in some cooked shrimp. Let it heat completely through. Serve in a crazy huge bowl with a grilled cheese and you will certainly be a happy camper.


Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 3-4 red potatoes
- 1 bottle of clam juice
- 1 lb of cooked shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley

1. Chop up the leeks, fennel, and onion.
2. Add to a large pot.
3. Chop up 3-4 red potatoes and add to the pot.
4. Pour in one bottle of clam juice.
5. Add in 1/2 cup of milk.
6. Add in 1 lb of cooked shrimp and the corn.
7. Heat completely through.
8. Serve it up with a tasty grilled cheese.

Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails