Monday, March 8, 2010

orange marmalade

Adapted from: Barefoot Contessa

The idea to make orange marmalade actually came from my husband. It was a great conversation and it went a little something like this...

husband: "You should really make orange marmalade for your blog and me."
me: "Oh yeah, why?"
husband: "I heard they are really in season right now."
me: "Sounds like a plan."

I was so impressed that he knew oranges were really tasty now and in season that I just had to make it. Oh man was I happy when I actually set out on the orange marmalade journey.

You start with 4 large oranges. Slice them in small thin half-moons.


Then should grab 2 lemons and slice them the same way.


Add all the slices into a large pot and place it on your stovetop.


Add in eight cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once at full boil stir in 8 cups of sugar. I know I know it seems like quite a bit, but when you think about how many jars it makes I think we will all be okay. Also you could substitute it with splenda, beet sugar, truvia or any other sweetener you will like. Let that dissolve and tightly cover then remove it from the heat. Let that sit overnight.



The next day bring the mixture back up to a boil and let it simmer for 2 hours uncovered. Then turn the heat back up again and let it boil straight for 30 minutes. Skim off any foam that surfaces to the top with the back of a wooden spoon.


To me my final marmalade was a little too chunky so I used my immersion blender to smooth it out a little more.


The recipe also called for the jars that I poured it into should be hot and clean. The only way I could figure out to simply do that is pop them in the mic for 30 seconds after cleaning them with hot water and soap. They got hot enough where any bacteria would be completely eradicated.


Then pour it into your jars and step back and enjoy the beauty !!




This stuff is pretty much good on anything toast, English muffins and even waffles.

Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails