Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day !!!

Like all food bloggers around the world, today will be celebrated in our words and cookery with things like corned beef, cabbage, pipping hot potatoes, cute little green cupcakes, Irish soda bread and much more. I have chosen a tried and true recipe of Irish Soda Bread.

The first time I had ever tried Irish Soda Bread was at my husband's grandmothers house. The woman that we fondly call Mimi brought this delicious treat out of the oven 3 Saint Patrick's days ago. I was sold. It is deliciously sweet and I even wanted more for desert. Made with the right ingredients it can be pretty healthy. In this recipe I used fat free buttermilk, low cal butter, lighter sodium salt and it came out wonderfully.

I never was one for Saint Patrick's Day before my husband. I am only 0.000000008% Irish and my family back in Rhode Island never really celebrated it. Now approaching a year of marriage to my Irish husband I feel a strong need need to celebrate it for sure.

I am not sure where Mimi got this recipe, but this one shown below is a little of her recipe and a little of mine mixed in. I promise it's something she has been making for years and possibly doesn't know the origination of the recipe either. So I guarantee there is no false representation here.

Start by mixing 4 cups of flour, 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 4 tbs of sugar and 1/2 cup low cal butter. Mix that together until the butter is completely incorporated.


Then beat together 1 egg and 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk.


Add that to the flour mixture and stir it up until it is completely blended. Also add in 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract just because you love it so much (or I mean I love it so much).


Then dump the mixture out on to a floured countertop. Flour up your hands and kneed it for a little bit. Then grab 1/2 cup of raisins. Add in 2 tbs of flour to the raisins. The easiest way I have found to do this is use a glass so you can cover it with your hand and shake it up. This is a critical step because it allows the raisins to mix throughout the bread and not be clustered into one spot. A much better plan than getting one giant mouthful of raisins.


Pop that into a 375 degree oven for 45-55 minutes.


Take that golden beauty out of the oven and cut a slice. You wont regret having it warm trust me!!!



Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails