Sunday, March 28, 2010

insane macaroni and cheese

I think every person who has some affection for cooking/baking/ or spending any kind of time in the kitchen has one dish. One dish that they try to perfect over the course of their adulthood. My dish has been macaroni and cheese. Since I was a small girl, I have always adored macaroni and cheese - what kid doesn't I ask you? The only problem that as I have grown into an almost 30 year old woman I still love the stuff.

So as I said my dish is macaroni and cheese. It is still this way because I am on and endless search to perfect it. I am also on an endless search to make it as healthy, perfectly balanced, lower in fat all the while staying true to its original glory.

This is seriously one of the best mac n' cheese recipes I have found. You will have to excuse my lack of noting where it came from. I was sorting through some recipes my mom had and found it in the mix. There was no source on it.

First you start off by processing 1 cup of fat free cottage cheese, 2 tsp of yellow mustard, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.


Then, in a small saucepan combine 2 cups of skim milk, 1/4 cup of chopped onion, 1 tsp of garlic, and a pinch of nutmeg. Then whisk in 3 tbs of flour to thicken up the mixture.


Give the cottage cheese mixture another good whirl to make sure it is super smooth.


Then grate 2 cups of lowfat cheddar cheese.


Add the cottage cheese mixture and the grated cheese into the saucepan. Begin to stir slowly until all the cheese is melted and it is a completely smooth sauce.



Then stir in 2 cups of frozen spinach.


Then mix the cheese sauce with some cooked elbows.


Add it to a 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle on some plain bread crumbs that have been mixed with a little olive oil and basil. Then bake it off at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.


Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm....you can't never go wrong with mac and cheese! Thanks for sharing, I really need the low fat version!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails