Thursday, February 18, 2010

veggie power pesto pasta

I am sure I am not the first to think of this. I was wondering if you could used other vegetables in pesto and what exactly would it taste like? It could have been a costly mistake, but I was beyond excited once I finally sat down to have dinner that night.

Using Broccoli, Kale, or whatever other dark leafy green vegetable for pesto instead of just Basil. I loved the idea. Really if I was honest with myself I was floored by it. I was happy to have yet another way to sneak more veggies into our diet.

I decided to call this Veggie Power Pesto Pasta because I felt great after I ate it. Sometimes (well most of the time) when I have pasta I feel somewhat lethargic after I indulge in it. Not with Veggie Power Pesto Pasta!!! I felt great. I felt like every ounce of my being was alive and healthy.

So let's get to the recipe. It is such an easy recipe, which is the best part of it !!

Get one large head of kale and one large head of broccoli.


Rip the Kale up into smaller bits then stuff and shove them into your food processor until there is no room left.


Pulse your food processor until it no longer resembles kale leaves and turns into some brilliantly green bits like you see below.


Remove the Kale from the food processor and set aside. Then add the broccoli to the processor.


Then pulse the dickens out of it !!!


Then add your typical pesto flavorings; garlic, shallots, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts (or almonds), and leave the on switch running. Then as the processor is doing what it does best add in about 1/4 cup of olive oil until it comes together into a lovely pesto sauce.


Turn the pesto sauce into a large mixing bowl. Add in your favorite pasta and mix through.


Top with some Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and ....



Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT idea. Looks both healthy and delicious. Winning combo!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails