Sunday, February 7, 2010

healthful shepard's pie

Personally, I love Shepard's pie. My husband doesn't care for it much so it is one of those dishes I have continually tried to perfect so I can make it more often. I tweak and adjust recipes so it is a little better than last time and in the end he likes it more.

I decided to make a Shepard's pie one weekend, but wanted to put a more healthful twist on it. At the same time of trying to make a healthy pie I wanted to keep and hold true to all the the tastiness I adore about it.

So I started out by peeling about a pound to a pound and a half of potatoes.


Wash your taters up a little and throw em' into a pot of boiling water. Let them boil until they are fork tender. While they are boiling up chop up 3 carrots, 1 large onion, and 3-4 ribs of celery. Add those to a hot frypan and cook through until they get brown all over.

I just bought some tomato paste in a tube. Which p.s. I think is the best invention ever!!!! No more throwing out half used cans of tomato paste for this household !!!! So I decided why not give that a try in the shep's pie. I added about 3 tbs of it and let it dissolve. Add in about 2 tbs of water if it seems like it is not dissolving enough.


It will end up looking just like the picture below.


Then add a small handful of rosemary into the mix.


I decided to use ground turkey this time. Add in 1 lb of ground turkey mix it around with the vegetables until it cooks through.



Then pour that into a 9x13 baking dish.


Then take out your potatoes of the boiling hot water. Add them to a bowl and add in some fat-free buttermilk, some chives, salt and pepper. Then mash the hell out of those tots !!!


Dollop your taters on top and use a fork to press them down. This will give your Shepard's Pie a nice crust. I was pleasantly surprised how easy this was to cut and serve once it came out of the oven. I think fork-pressing the potatoes really adds something different to this recipe.


Pop your Shepard's pie into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until it gets a nice golden brown color all over the top. Slice up your delicious healthy dinner tonight. Serve it with a full salad and you have yourself a complete meal.


Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. I love shepard's pie. This one looks really fantastic! And tomato paste in a tube? Wow, I'll have to go find that!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails