Wednesday, April 21, 2010

perfecting the omelet

I am wondering whether or not most cooks have one thing they have struggled with for what seems like forever. I have always had a hard time with omelets. The right kind of omelet that folds itself over in the pan all on its own. The kind of omelet that is airy, light, fluffy, and perfectly cooked. My husband and I do not have cable in an effort to streamline living expenses. But, what we do have is public television and all the digital channels the digital tuner and while I was watching a very old episode of Julia Child's cooking with Julia show and it was egg hour.

I knew this was my opportunity to finally handle an omelet properly. I knew this was my moment to shine.

So as I watched with every minute that passed I begin to realize the one wrong thing I had been doing all these years. I NEVER HAD THE PAN HOT ENOUGH. What a fool I was! I love a good omelet and toast for breakfast on the weekends and now it finally could be mine in the comfort of my own home.

Begin, with cranking the heat on a non-stick pan to about medium high. Then crack 2 large eggs into a bowl and add in 1/4 cup of milk. Now begin to whip it up in a frantic motion...

Pour it into the pan that has been sprayed with a liberal coating of pam. Because the pan is so hot you will begin to see it bubble up like you do in the picture below.


Begin to slide a flexible spatula around the edges of the omelet. Then begin to tip the omelet toward you until it begins to gain a curved U sort of shape like you see below.


Then once you realize the eggs are no longer runny and fully cooked tilt it onto your plate. If it was done right it will plop down on your plate in a perfect curve. Top it with some mozzarella cheese and parsley. You wont regret it !!!


Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips. I hope I can end up with an omelet as amazing looking as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails