Wednesday, December 9, 2009

These tastes are a changing !

Information gathered from: Anne Collins , Pistachio Health


When I was a child I hated Pistachios with a passion. Even know I cannot pinpoint why they were so atrocious to me I have some bad memories associated with them. I remember debating with my mom in the grocery store about why I hated them so much and why I thought she should not buy them.


I thought they were disgusting anytime my mom tried to put them in anything I absolutely hated it. My dad always loved pistachio ice cream growing up. You would think that as a child I should have loved that minty green color it is, but I did not.


Recently, the opportunity presented itself to try these little green monsters again. To my delight they are wonderful. I was astonished and upset that I had hated them for all the years I had. A co-worker brought them in and asked if I wanted to try one and I figured hey give it a whirl.


The best part of all of this is pistachios are insanely healthy for you. They are the lowest in calories and the lowest fat of any nut.

Like all nuts, pistachio nuts are an excellent source of protein. Unsalted pistachios have a high-potassium low-sodium content which helps to normalise blood pressure, maintain water balance in the body and strengthen muscles. Pistachio nuts are also a good source of vitamin E which boosts the immune system and alleviates fatigue. They contain lesser amounts of magnesium, phosphorous, iron and zinc.

Diet Note

Most pistachio nuts are salted and because of the high sodium content should only be eaten in small quantities. But unsalted, they are an excellent addition to any diet, particularly vegan or vegetarian. So pick up the unsalted instead of reaching for that addictive sodium.



More fun facts on Pistachios:


Per serving, pistachios have more antioxidants than green tea. That should make tea green with envy.


Pistachios contain more than 10 different antioxidants each of which may offer unique health benefits to stave off chronic diseases.


An appetite suppressing compound called oleoylethanolamide was recently discovered in monounsaturated FAT (of all places!). Fifty-five percent of the fat in pistachios is monounsaturated fat.


As of 2006, food manufacturers are required to list trans fat on the nutrition label. Because oils are not used during roasting, pistachios are naturally trans fat-free.


Pistachios are a "hearty" snack offering more cholesterol fighting phytosterols than any other nut.


Pistachios have more potassium than any other nut. Did you know a serving of pistachios has more potassium than half of a large banana? That's pretty powerful


The green color in pistachios comes from a compound called lutein which helps to prevent the most common form of blindness in older adults


A serving of pistachios has 3 grams of fiber. That's more than most other snack nuts and more than many types of whole fruit.


You would have to eat three plums to get the same amount of fiber found in one serving of pistachios.


Pistachios are related to the mango fruit and the spice sumac.


These little nuts are amazing. You wont regret adding 1/2 cup to your morning or afternoon so you can make it to dinner or lunch.


Take a break enjoy some pistachio pudding add some more crushed pistachios on top and kick back you wont regret it. I sure didn't!


Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. I know muffins aren't the most healthy food, but pistachio muffins are my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails