Thursday, September 23, 2010

salad rolls


I think every household has a day each week where if they don't use some of the vegetables they bought at the beginning of the week.  Depending on when your family shops it could be any day of the week.  Every ounce of vegetables I buy each week, mainly because it is the most expensive part of my grocery bill, I use.   The greens from some beets, leftover cabbage, stems from fresh herbs, anything and everything is used.  As long as I know that it's edible and my husband nor I will get sick from it then it goes in the mix.  

Last week this happened to me.  I got to the end of the week and had more than usual for leftovers.  My friend Jenni makes this delicious salad rolls.  I think she uses rice paper wrappers, but I had some leftover napa cabbage that I thought would do the trick.  I also had a handful of matchstick carrots, half a red pepper, a little red cabbage, sliced cucumber, sprouts, basil, green onions, and an avocado.  

So I sliced everything thinly so that they would be easy to roll.  This bounty of color below is what I came up with.  


These are so unbelievably simple.  Just put what you want into each roll and roll it up as best you can.  I would totally recommend these.  Next time, I would just use collard greens, romaine, or rice wrappers.



I also made a dipping sauce to go along with this awesome meal.  I just used what I had on hand a little sesame oil, peanut oil, tamari, lemon juice, sesame seeds, white wine vinegar.  I just kept adding a little here and there until I liked the way it tasted.  



We had these salad rolls with some cooked quinoa and 2 pieces of grilled chicken.  That's it simplicity at its best !!! 

Enjoy !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails