Tuesday, September 21, 2010

caprese salad

Caprese salad is one of the most fanciest looking things that you can bring to a party plus it is one of the most easiest and quickest to make ahead of time.   I also love having this salad as a side during the summer.  It brightens up any meal and is much healthier than adding a side that is full of carbs.  I am by no means living a carb-free life, but I do like making adjustments here and there so my husband and I have an overall healthier lifestyle. 

You need a total of 6 things to make this wonderful salad 
  • 1 pint of cherry tomatoes 
  • 1 package of mozzarella pearls 
  • 1 large bunch of basil
  • 3 tbs of extra virgin olive oil 
  • sea salt 
  • cracked pepper 
That's it!!! That's the simplicity of it.  Which is the main reason why I love it so much.  This salad is so balanced and full of everything you need to have balanced, vitamin enriched diet.  

Usually, I chop the cherry tomatoes in half.  I then add in the mozzarella, oil, salt, and pepper to let everything settle together so the flavors can mix up right !! 


Then I get my basil going.  I usually stack the leaves high. 



Then I tightly roll the bunch away from me. 



Then chop/slice every which way to get just the most perfect pieces to my salad.



I usually don't put the basil into right before I am going to serve it.  If it goes in too early the basil has  tendency to brown.  So right before you are going to serve it add that beautiful greenery in.  



My husband and I most recently had a delicious summery dinner with this salad, bbq chicken on the grill (really our George foreman grill, as we are still apartment dwellers), and some corn on the cob (cut off just the way I like it). 


The dinner was perfect in every a summer meal should be. 


Enjoy !!! 

3 comments:

  1. Kaleena, this is my very favorite dinner! My hubby & I make it a lot in the summer. We use just a ball of fresh mozzerella and rip that & the basil into pieces. We also use just red wine vinegar instead of olive oil :) That's it! Yummy & that's all we have/make for the meal bc I love it so much I eat a huge portion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so awesome....I love it. Its a definite keeper !!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails