Wednesday, October 20, 2010

rhubard upside down cake

Adapted from Martha Stewart Living

This recipe is an oldie but a goodie.  I found it in my archives from the end of summer.  I feel awful that I didn't get it on the blog back that.  I guess it doesn't make much sense to even post it now, but I don't care.  I love rhubarb.  Even though the only thing people are thinking about is pumpkins, acorn squash, and Halloween candy I figured why not. 

 
I even made this back in July, when my husband and I were still in Maine.  There two things I adore about Maine in the summer.  I lied I love everything about summer in Maine.  I do however love how plentiful rhubarb and fiddleheads are in the late summer months.  Not to mention strawberries, blueberries, lobster, and so much more.  Rhubarb is so plentiful in Maine in the late summer months you can sometimes find it for 15 cents a pound or even free from a co-worker like I did. 


Start by slicing up about 2 pounds of rhubarb. Place in a separate bowl and set aside.


Then in a small saucepan heat up the rhubarb slightly with 1/4 cup of sugar so the sweetness of the rhubarb is enhanced. 



Then place the rhubarb in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. 



Then cream together 1 1/2 sticks of room temperature butter with 1 3/4 cups of sugar.



It will end up looking like what you see below.  Then add 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, a little salt, 1/2 tsp of orange zest, 1 tablespoons of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoons of orange juice, 2 large eggs, and 1 cup of fat-free sour cream.  Mix that all together with a hand blender.




Then pour your cake batter all over the top of the rhubarb. Bake the cake in an oven as fast as you can at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Then allow it to cool.  If you are unsure of how done it is be sure to test it with a cake tester or a toothpick will work just fine.



Flip it over on top a serving dish and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.  This is very much a summer desert, but try something different.  Make it in the middle of winter and see what people think !!!


Enjoy !!!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice cake idea. Now could you use frozen rhubarb, our season for fresh is long gone now but I have lots in the freezer just begging to be something.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails