Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gluten Free Rhode Island Polenta

I grew up in Rhode Island.  Some call it Lil Rhody or the best place on earth and some just call it home.  As I get older and older Rhode Island is home and it probably always will be.  Unless, my husband and I magically decide to move to Europe.  In your 20s you move from place to place while you are trying to get your bearings it is hard to hold to something that is "home."  For me Rhode Island has always been that and I think it will be always continue to be that until my husband and I really settle down and have children.  But for now it's the closest thing I have to true roots and it will probably stay like that. 


I don't ever remember eating or even hearing about Polenta when I was a kid growing up in Rhode Island.  But apparently it is a common dish in Rhode Island.  Most recently, my mom got this cookbook and I knew I had to take a look inside.  I came across this recipe for polenta and it sounded amazing ! 




First, start by chopping up a whole bin of baby portabella mushrooms.  




Then, slice up one onion and begin to saute them in a frypan.  Add in 1 large 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes.  Toss in 3-4 tablespoons of minced garlic.  Add a dash of red wine.  Then add in 4 chicken sausage to simmer inside the wonderful tomato sauce you have just created.  If you taste it and find the sauce to be too acidic add in 2 finely grated carrots.  Even if you don't find that it is add em' in anyways.  The more vegetables you can add into your daily diet the better I say !!




















Polenta is extremely easy to make ---


This is the basic recipe I use 9 times out of 10 unless I find something else that looks great.


1 cup of polenta (corn grits) - I always find that the best polenta is made from thicker corn grits.
3 cups of water, veggie stock, or chicken stock
2 tbs of butter
a pinch of salt
1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese


Heat the water up in a saucepan.  Then when it comes to a rolling boil whisk quickly in the corn grits until they start to firm up and you have polenta.  Then stir in the rest of the ingredients.


For gluten-free folks polenta can be a nice alternative to pasta as you see below.  It's an Italian dream dinner for gluten-free individuals.


Top it with your sauce and serve it with 1-2 chicken sausages.

Enjoy !!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails