Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th !!! Celebrate with a Fakeout and BBQ Sandwiches and Sweet Slaw

Adapted from: My Baking Addiction 


I love meals that seem like they are cooked for hours and days and would be a perfect summer treat, but the trick is to have them in the middle of the winter.  I made this meal back in February and it was perfect for the middle of winter.  Not that it wouldn't be great for dinner tonight, but there was something about that winter night that my husband and I shared this meal and had a moment where we felt Spring was sooner than we thought.


You ask how BBQ sandwiches happen? Well it  all goes down in your crockpot!!  The night before your planning to have this glorious meal place the following items into your crockpot




  • 2.5 lb beef chuck roast 
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tbs and 1 1/2 tsp of white vinegar 
  • 2 tbs of brown sugar 
  • 2 tbs of honey 
  • 1 tsp of dry mustard 
  • 2 tbs of Worcestershire sauce 
  • 1 1/2 cups of low sodium ketchup 
  • 1 tsp of salt 
  • 1/4 tsp of pepper 
  • 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper 
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic 


Put the cover on and place it in the fridge until the morning. 


















The next morning place it on to cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.  When it's done it will look a little something like this deliciousness.




























This looked and smelled so good our puppy Marty seemed to be quite intrigued with what my husband was doing.





I also prepared some sweet slaw to add with the meal.  It is so easy and perfect you won't believe it.  In a large bowl combine the following ingredients. 



  • 1 bag of coleslaw mix
  • 1 diced small onion
  • 2/3 cup of reduced fat mayo
  • 2 tbs of olive oil
  • 3 tbs of sugar
  • 1 tbs of white vinegar, possibly more to taste
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tbs of poppy seeds 

Enjoy !!!

2 comments:

  1. Aaron will love you for this one...

    And, I can proudly say, for my 29th my brother-in-laws bought me a food processor! Yay! I've joined the ranks ;)

    Love the new digs, looks great and I'm glad you kept the owl and the same profile pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessi!! I love the owl cookie jar I couldnt get rid of it....I love that you got a food processor...they are so handy......Tell Aaron this is amazing.....and perfect anytime of year and it is beyond simple with little effot....

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails