Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Great vegan / gluten free burger recipe

 Adapted from: I Believe I Can Fry

Summer is officially here and to begin it this is a wonderful alternative to grilling burgers this summer.  It is a well balanced, lightly spiced, hearty burger.   It is also gluten free, dairy free, and meat free.  

I ended up broiling them in the oven to get them crispy all over.  To serve them I used the deli flats that are very common right now.  I also made a dairy free mayo with cilantro and lime in it to spread on the buns.  Recipe below

























Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl 

1. 15 oz can of black beans, mush them up with a large fork 
2. 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. 
3.  2 cloves of diced garlic. 
4. 1 tsp of onion powder 
5. 2 scallions, sliced thin 
6. 1 cup of shredded carrots, I also diced them up in a small food processor. 
7. 1 cup of cilantro, chopped finely
8. 2 cups of oats, pulse these a few times in the food processor too.

For the cilantro lime mayo 
1. 2-3 tbs of Trader Joes dairy free/eggless mayo 
2. 2 tbs of dried cilantro
3. juice of one lime

Mix up with your hands and make flattened out patties just like you would hamburgers. 

Bake in the oven at 400 until brown and crisp all over.   I think it took me about 20 minutes and I flipped them halfway through. 

Best 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails