Tuesday, March 22, 2011

polenta re-use

Polenta is one of my favorite pasta, carb, grain alternatives to the traditional white rice, potato carb loaded addition to a meal.  I make it often, but not too much where I will get sick of it.  When I do make it I often make extra and freeze it so that I have some for another meal later on. That is exactly what this post is about.  

Most of the time when I make it I roast a bunch of vegetables that I have extra after the week.  This time I had zuchini, yellow squash, a red pepper, a green pepper, and a red onion.

Chop them up and roast them up at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.


Then whisk up your polenta.  I usually buy Bob Red Mill's Corn Grits and the way they explain how to do it on the back of the package works perfect for me.  It's basically 3 cups of water to 1 cup of corn grits.  I also add in about a tablespoon of butter, 1/2 tablespoon of salt, and about a cup of Parmesan cheese.

I'm not really sure why people think polenta is so difficult to make.  It is quite simple in fact.  The trick is once the water comes to a boil you must whisk in the corn grits to avoid any clumps.


For this meal I used everything I needed then placed the extra in a baking dish.  I then cut them in rectangles.  


I then wrapped them individually to diminish freezer burn. 


I then placed them in a Ziploc and threw them in the freezer !


Then weeks later I took them out cooked them up and topped with some cheese, marinara sauce, and chicken sausage.  It was so easy !!

Enjoy !!!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea freezing, I throw so much away not realizing it would freeze, thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails