Sunday, March 20, 2011

autumn latkes

One of the things I love most about cooking and creating healthful meals for my husband and I are finding ways to sneak veggies into everything.   Not only placing veggies in everything, but increasing the numbers of servings of vegetables in a side dish as well.  This side dish is a wonderful example of that.  I got this recipe out of one of my friends favorite cookbooks Veginomicon, which is slowly becoming one of my favorites.  You can also find my friend The Wise Vegan here !!

You start autumn latkes by shredding 2 sweet potatoes, 3 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, and a couple of carrots.  It takes some time, but it is so worth it.  You can use a food processor to do it, but I felt like making my arms hurt for a bit.  


Then add in about 1/4 cup of cornstarch, an 1/8 of cup of flour, and 1/4 cup of water.  Mix that thoroughly and let it sit for about 10 minutes.


Then make patties out of the mixture and fry them up in a little olive oil.  They are so delicious.  They get wonderfully crispy with even just a little olive oil.  They freeze pretty well too!

They are delicious and you wont be able to say no to the extra veggies with this one !!

Enjoy !!! 
 

1 comment:

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails