Saturday, August 29, 2009

No more boxed breads or cakes !!!

This is a simple post on zucchini bread to hopefully convince any readers I have to stop making breads and cakes out of boxes. There are so many additives and extra sugar/salt that you just don't need. With a few simple ingredients that you most likely have in your home already and you can bake wonderful healthy treats like Zucchini Bread!! This recipe was originally to make 2 loaves, but considering it is just my husband and I....I didn't want to have an extra loaf that would moldy.

I wish I had started this blog when I had picked up the lovely zucchini that provide the grated zucchini for this bread. I had gone to our local farmers market a week or so back and one of the vendors had a special on zucchini that she had a surplus of. She had a surplus because zucchini for some reason this summer has grown wonderfully. The one I picked up was about 2 feet long and about 6 inches in diameter. It was wonderful. So I grated some and froze it for things like sauces, stews, and delicious zucchini bread. I also sliced the other half, blanched it, and froze for a zucchini lasagna in the near future. The best part of the giant zucchini find was that it was only 50 cents total. I had to double check with her upon paying as I thought the sign meant 50 cents per pound. But I was totally wrong and it was just a great find.

TIP: Farmer's market's can frequently be a great source of reasonably priced veggies and fruit. Especially late in the summer as we are when their crops are plentiful and they need to get rid of them.

Your ingredients all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla extract, grated zucchini....










You will need to sift together 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon like so....







The sifting will make it a lighter and fluffier bread....it is definitely worth it. If you don't have a sifter try a fine mesh strainer. If you don't have that it will be fine...




Then mix the wet ingredients together. In a seperate bowl mix 1 large egg, 1 large egg white, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 1 cup of sugar, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 cup of grated zucchini.















Once the wet ingredients are mixed throughouly it will look something like what you see below













Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and bake in the oven at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. When it looks golden brown on top and a little crispy take it out. Be sure to test the center with a toothpick or thin knife to ensure it is done in the middle.
When you take it out it should look as delicious and nutritious as the one below...





Nothing beats a couple of pieces of zucchini bread a small amount of
butter (or a lot) and a glass of OJ for breakfast

2 comments:

  1. yummmmm! This looks delish! I am so linking this blog from mine, I hope you don't mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel free to link it feel free to link any of it....more readers the better!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails